Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ulysses

Over a month ago,
We want on a date.
To see Josh Garrels...
who, if you don't know his music,
is amazing.
And a prophet.

There were several songs he did that night
which left our hearts burning...
and the words he spoke, too, were powerful.

My favorite was, and is, Ulysses.
Before he sang it,
he explained it.
Said that he and his wife knew many couples who,
suddenly,
were choosing to give up
and not be married anymore.

He gave us the image of the Oregon coast,
littered with rock and boulders,
and said: what if, in order to save it before it was lost,
you had to navigate a boat through those rocks,
on a stormy night,
in the dark,
and find your way home to love again?

This line in the song Ulysses I love,
as I picture that shore line,
Sirens beckoning:
So tie me to the mast of this old ship and point me home
Before I lose the one I love, before my chance is gone
I want to hold her in my arms.


Many voices beckon,
landmines of rocks threaten,
and I want to be tied to the mast of this old ship,
pointed home,
always pointed home,
to the one I love.

Before you listen to this video and read the lyrics, just want to say that you can download his entire album for free  at JoshGarrels.com . He and his family felt like they were supposed to give away the album rather than sell it for the first year of its release. So...go get it.






I’m holding on to the hope that one day this could be made right.
I’ve been shipwrecked, and left for dead, and I have seen the darkest sights.
Everyone I’ve loved seems like a stranger in the night
But Oh my heart still burns, tells me to return, and search the fading light.

I’m sailing home to you I wont be long
By the light of moon I will press on
Until, I find, my love

Trouble has beset my ways, and wicked winds have blown
Sirens call my name, they say they’ll ease my pain, then break me on the stones
But true love is the burden that will carry me back home
Carry me with the, memories of the, beauty I have known

I’m sailing home to you I wont be long
By the light of moon I will press on

So tie me to the mast of this old ship and point me home
Before I lose the one I love, before my chance is gone
I want to hold, her in, my arms

1 comment: